Friday, September 19, 2008

Lessons from Viva

We had a play date yesterday with Viva (Genevieve). Her brother was with his family and it was Viva's opportunity to have a little "alone" time with us. She is six weeks older than the twins and has a devilishly cute commanding presence. When the four kids play I honestly don't notice a "leader" in the bunch but yesterday Patrick and Cassidy were eager to follow Viva around awaiting the next exciting activity.

First they started with the wipes. The twins haven't figured out how to open the lid to the wipes as long as I properly close it. Viva has. I was quite shocked when she came to me with the empty container (which five minutes ago had been completely full!). Next they moved over to my kitchen drawers. I have two that don't have locks. I figured the kids should have a couple of cabinets and a few drawers to terrorize, I mean explore (now I wonder what I was thinking!) Viva showed the twins how once the drawers are pulled out they can be used to climb on. All three enjoyed this activity until in short order I put a stop to it.

It was almost time to pick Payton up from XC running and I decided to load the kids up early. Three was a number I hadn't experienced before! Usually I take the twins out together but there was no way I could take three out at the same time. Cassidy was the first one out. She is the biter and I didn't want any missing body parts. Coincidentally her car seat was in the middle. I came back to discover Viva and Patrick happily munching on my fall centerpiece. Next out was Viva, I felt slightly more comfortable with Patrick alone in the house for a minute or two. Finally all three were loaded and we were off! We managed to get Pate without incident and Viva was safely returned to her mother:)

No comments: