Monday, August 4, 2008

Our Tramatic Day






We woke up early looking forward to our Monday with Mima & Papa. Shortly after our arrival the babies moods began to spiral downhill. I chocked it up to a busy weekend and continued on my merry way with my weekly cooking lesson. Then the trauma began..........

Cassidy was kneeling in a box on the kitchen floor and beamed up, quite proud of her handiwork. Simultaneously beaming and balancing proved to be too great a challenge and in seemingly slow motion she lurched forward and face planted on the linoleum floor. I quickly picked her up to assess the damage and became frantic myself when I saw a mouth full of blood. Her top "half" teeth had planted themselves into her top lip upon landing and her lip was puffing larger and larger by the minute. After calming her down, it was nap time. I discovered that my husband had been too efficient in unloading the car, and the pack'n plays were no longer in the Denali.

Patrick took a nap in Mima and Papa's room while Cassidy was put down in Aunt Jenna's bed. We all took turns checking on the twins periodically and within two minutes of Payton checking on Cassidy Papa came into the kitchen with a screaming Cassidy. She once more had a mouth and face full of blood. The pillows I had placed around her to keep her on the bed had become smothering devices and she had managed to get her head caught under a pillow and between the wall and the bed. After cleaning her up and calming her down yet again, we decided it was time to go home.

I was shaking all the way home. My poor precious baby girl had almost died! Thank goodness Papa had saved her!!!!! When Steve arrived home, he asked Payton to take out the trash. "I can't," he said, pausing for effect, "We've had a very traumatic day!"

Before bed, the babies were playing in the living room, supervised by two parents. Patrick, while playing with the phone, decided 911 looked like a good number to dial. Unbeknown to us he had dialed 911 and we were shocked to receive a call from them. Steve convinced the operator that the baby had called and assured her we did not need their assistance.

Having had quite enough excitement for one day I hurried the twins upstairs for baths and bed. While running the bath water, Patrick, who ALWAYS has shoes on his hands decided that MY shoe belonged in the bath. He tossed it in the swirling water and smiled up at me, very proud of himself. I glared back, snatched my poor battered shoe out of the water, quickly bathed the babies and tucked them safely in bed.

I hope tomorrow is calm and uneventful...........then again I have twins and a 10 year old. Who am I kidding?????

No comments: