Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Ear hurts!




Cassidy has been extremely fussy lately. Considering she has been battling a case of extremely bad baby eczema we tend to cut her a little more slack in the crying department. Since the end of November she has been to the pediatrician twice, a dermatologist a few times, and this month we have been lucky enough to add allergist to our list of doctors. Unfortunately the cause of the breakout is still unknown and while we have added Benadryl and occasionally Zyrtec to our bedtime ritual Cassidy still claws at any part of her body she can reach. She has socks that cover her hands nearly all the time and has become quite adept at taking them off. It isn't unusual for me to find her in the morning smiling in her crib with one sock off her chubby hand and scratches all over her peach fuzzed head and face. This afternoon was different. She had been especially fussy all day yesterday, she was fussy all morning, and she woke up from her afternoon nap screaming with scratches all over her face and blood coming out of her ear. Well that certainly scared me into action and I immediately rushed her to the doctor where I was informed that my poor baby girls eardrum had ruptured! My daughter had been trying to tell me for days that she was in pain and I just chalked it up to irritating skin. What kind of mother am I? So now in addition to her buffet of prescription creams and ointments we get to add antibiotics and ear drops to her daily routine. Hopefully Cassidy will be feeling better soon and in the mean time she's getting picked up and cuddled at the littlest peep.

No comments: