Monday, January 28, 2008

Mema & Papa withdrawals

When the twins were born I suddenly became a stay at home mother lacking in pretty much every domestic skill imaginable-I couldn't cook (this is still a work in progress), I wasn't exactly a cleaner, and while I had experience with children I certainly never had a child full time let alone two to raise. To say the least I felt slightly unqualified and extremely unprepared for my latest and most important "career".

My mother in law happens to be a domestic goddess and Steve and Payton are used to having things done the way that Mema does them. Judy quickly became (and still is) my go to expert for everything domestic. Payton asked me the other day what I was going to do when Mema and Papa were out of town. "What do you mean," I asked. "Well who is going to answer all of your questions?" he said. I almost started to cry.

Judy must be a saint. I call her at least a few times a day.........why won't my rolls rise?(apparently they need to be covered), what kind of peas do you use? (canned, the boys won't eat the frozen ones). How do you cook a roast? (I've yet to make a successful roast although I keep trying) and the list of mundane questions goes on and on. She never gets annoyed with me and always answers my questions without making me feel like an idiot (I mean who doesn't know that yeast likes to be warm!). Needless to say it's going to be a challenge to survive the next few months without my lifeline.

Today we were officially out of food.........no milk, no lunch meat, nothing edible that would constitute a meal. Every Monday since the twins were born they have gone to Mema and Papa's while I go to the grocery store and run errands. This was our first Monday with Mema and Papa gone, what was I going to do? Lucky for me Payton is a lifesaver. He pushed the twins around the store in the stroller as I went around with the cart and loaded up on food.
It is so special to see the interaction between the twins. They seem to find each other's hands wherever they are. This is the first picture of them both sitting!
Once again Patrick is helping Payton with his homework. He's going to ace the fourth grade!
Patrick ate an entire container of carrots tonight! This was his first big meal. So far he has made distasteful faces when trying bananas, pears, peas, applesauce, and well everything else.

No comments: